August 1963 (1964 model year)'French' Export 11 window bus

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.
ALHINSON

August 1963 (1964 model year)'French' Export 11 window bus

Post by ALHINSON »

Born in August 1963 (essentially a 1964 model year hence the 64 signature on here) the bus has spent its life with the same now very elderly owner in Nevers, Burgundy in France as an electrician’s van. It left the factory with ‘For the French market’ export codes which include its yellow front headlamp bulbs, and the small rear reflectors above the rear bumper as well as the SWF pillar mounted driver’s mirror. A ‘factory’ restricted 1200 single port out back, 64 on ‘big nut’ brakes, and 15” wheels.

The paint is the original and rather sun faded L31 Dove blue, the roof has been poorly painted white and the cargo area has a yellow beige hand painted coating to some of the panels.

Driving onto the Eurotunnel

Floor removed

With the floor removed, easy access to the remnants of the 4 outriggers, jacking points, both cross members, jacking points, sills, 3 top hats etc etc in fact a veritable pile of fresh metal I have sourced through Autocraft, VW Heritage, and Alan Schofield that I will be replacing, along with both front arches, and the cab floor.
Last edited by ALHINSON on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
1967 13 Window Deluxe, Sea Blue & Cumulus White, Texas Import
mango-westy

Re: 1963 'French' Export 11 window bus

Post by mango-westy »

nice bus, good luck with the restoring it i have a project just as big!!! i know how it feel's, you will get a lot of good info of the guys on here!! but remember its your bus do what you want!!!

One thing a golf towing your bus??? lucky you didn't get pulled over no way would the train weight allow for the bus and trailer on the back of a golf!!! just a heads up in-case you do it again you bus could get impounded if your over on weights.

take it easy carlos.
ALHINSON

Post by ALHINSON »

carl_hendy827 wrote:nice bus, good luck with the restoring it i have a project just as big!!! i know how it feel's, you will get a lot of good info of the guys on here!! but remember its your bus do what you want!!!

One thing a golf towing your bus??? lucky you didn't get pulled over no way would the train weight allow for the bus and trailer on the back of a golf!!! just a heads up in-case you do it again you bus could get impounded if your over on weights.

take it easy carlos.
It pulled it really well, it is a 150PD Golf so can tow 1400kg on a braked trailer; the trailer and bus weight scrapes in just below that, I've got B+E and CE on my license too. Slight epic in traffic around Paris bloody mopeds everywhere! I've got it in a hanger at work now, glass it out and the new panels are starting to go in. I'm aiming to paint it Turkis green on the lower half and old English white the top. Notice you are Carterton; I've spent a few weeks at Brize before now on course.

P.S could you PM me how you got the M-Plate signature block. Cheers.
ALHINSON

Post by ALHINSON »

Sorry about the quality; these are taken using my Blackberry. This shows the 'lack' of crossmembers, jacking points and sills!

The removal of the glass went better than hoped, the seals have really done their job the past 49 years and the frames are in amazing solid condition all round! Gives a glimpse of the original shade of blue too.

The grinding disc gives some scale to the amount of metal (aka rust) removed; this is about half of what has been cut out!

Chassis getting sorted ready for new metal going in; note the top hats are out.

'Some' of the new panels!

Wheels have been taken off now, to get their tyres taken off and shotblasted. I'm going to fit BRM's ultimately but sensibly my wife wants us to keep the originals as spares too.
ALHINSON

Re: August 1963 (1964 model year)'French' Export 11 window bus

Post by ALHINSON »

Tyres removed; I followed Brian's excellent thread and replaced all the missing or damaged hub cap clips (Supplied by VW Heritage).

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42747&hilit=hup+cap+clips

The arches are in really great condition considering the age, after removing the dusting of grime nice solid metal that simply needs a spruce up and some stonechip and they'll be good for another 49 years!

On axle stands, the rot is gradually being removed and replaced, rear of front arch done and side panel cut away ready for a new sill and panel to go in.

Rear crossmember and '6th' Top hat (both Autocraft) and L/H rear arch front (from AH Schofield's) replaced.

TheVintageVWBus

Post by TheVintageVWBus »

Great find. I would love to get bus in shape like yours ;) Good luck with your work.
ALHINSON

Post by ALHINSON »

The 'surgery' continues; LH complete wheel arch replaced and LH cab dloor repair completed the angle grinder's attention swiftly turns to the buse's front lower panel. As you can see from this pic it was harbouring nothing but corrosion and was so brittle.

Steering box thouroughly cleaned and re-filled with fresh gear oil. Bottom section of the A panel replaced and front inner valance limbering up and poised to be fitted next (both from A H Schofield's). A fresh section of decent gauge steel lined up for the end of the chassis frame; obviously yet to be welded in place and provisionally held there with a magnet. Invested in some taller axle stands to improve access (Halfords).

This rather nice export plate is mounted in the engine bay; nice to think she has been via Paris in her early life especially given the dealers was spitting distance from the Champs-Élysées.

John TC
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by John TC »

Good skills on show here :D will keep an eye on this thread

keep up the good work and Well done wife :cheers:

------------------------------1956 RHD Kombi.------------------------------
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82512
---------------------------------Aka Bucket-----------------------------------
ALHINSON

Post by ALHINSON »

John TC wrote:Good skills on show here :D will keep an eye on this thread

keep up the good work and Well done wife :cheers:
Thanks mate; see you are from Jersey had a good look through your thread for your bus too, very very nice!

I proposed to my wife by La Corbière lighthouse and most of my family live on the island as that is where my mum is originally from. We'll certainly be bringing our bus over to the island at some point that is for sure. :D
John TC
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by John TC »

ALHINSON wrote: Thanks mate; see you are from Jersey had a good look through your thread for your bus too, very very nice!

I proposed to my wife by La Corbière lighthouse and most of my family live on the island as that is where my mum is originally from. We'll certainly be bringing our bus over to the island at some point that is for sure. :D
Its a small world
It will be great to meet up on the Island
I'm over for Busfest (vanfest) beginning of September you going?

------------------------------1956 RHD Kombi.------------------------------
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82512
---------------------------------Aka Bucket-----------------------------------
ALHINSON

Post by ALHINSON »

John TC wrote:
ALHINSON wrote: Thanks mate; see you are from Jersey had a good look through your thread for your bus too, very very nice!

Its a small world
It will be great to meet up on the Island
I'm over for Busfest (vanfest) beginning of September you going?
I'm not sure yet; we haven't got anything on our calender yet but it does fill pretty quickly! I'll let you know if we do go though, I'm not sure how close the bus will be to roadworthy-ness by then but if it isn't we'll take our 62 beetle.
ALHINSON

Post by ALHINSON »

Front passenger side arch (RHS) looking rather worse for wear (nearly 50 years of wear!)

Outrigger, jacking point, arch, and inner arch all replaced. Welds sealed with 'grey stripe seam sealant', and a couple of coats of AKZO NOBEL marine grade 'Goose wing' grey paint.

The engine bay; complete with 'wildlife' remnants!

Fuel tank refreshed!

The chassis looking rather better; 4 new jacking points, 3 top hats, 4 outriggers and both cross members.

Front brake....

after a bit of work!

One of the rear brakes; prior to any work (yes this was all that was behind the drum!!! no shoes etc!)

The drivers side (LHS) after work.

Sporting brand new wheels and tyres; new front arch/side panel/front valance and a rarely swept floor on show!

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BJ1 »

Great work especially on axle stands :cheers: The bus is amazingly solid for a French split - well done for saving it.
1966 SO42 Westy in Velvet Green - on the road at last!
1967 Devon from Devon still in Devon
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA
1971 patina Delux from Montana now living in Germany
1972 Devon now owned by No 1 son!
ALHINSON

Re: August 1963 (1964 model year)'French' Export 11 window b

Post by ALHINSON »

The seats needed some real work, and they looked worse when I took them out of the bus!

After I stripped them down I had the frames media blasted and the frames coated with gloss black paint. Then came my handy work recovering them.

The cab floor, all repaired and refreshed!

The spare 'BRM' fits in nicely.

Cargo floor all fitted in before getting covered with wood.

Rock and roll bed offered up as a trial fit.

Engine bay almost ready for gearbox and engine.

mango-westy

Re: August 1963 (1964 model year)'French' Export 11 window b

Post by mango-westy »

Looking very good mate, keep it up we will be cruising the Devon coast together soon!!!!