RIP Mabel the Staffie - 2006-2020 CKD Zombi Kombi co pilot

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
Mike1973
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: New garage/workshop project for the Zombi Kombi!

Post by Mike1973 » Fri May 06, 2016 11:17 pm

Right, a few ups and downs since fitting the engine ...

After a good long run to Suffolk we had problems on the return trip, which turned out to be points and valves and general adjustment you should do anyway on a newish motor that's just done 500 miles. After help from Steve Theobold giving it a nice tune up it ran great, and we took it to a local car meet that evening.
On the way back there was a tell tale dribble of oil following it into the garage! I assumed the flywheel oil seal had failed, as that's where it was coming from ... (it was new?)

Anyway, engine out. Had no problems at all removing it ...

Then went to check out the flywheel and was greeted by this ...

Not something I was expecting! I've taken out engines more times than I can count, and this has never happened before. I had a horrible feeling it wouldn't be an easy fix ...

There followed a frantic morning on facebook trying to find out what the problem was, and if I could fix it in time for Vic Farm the following Friday, six days away! If I had to fix it properly, the answer was probably no. But I had a tip off from Paul that may get me out of this fix and back on the road in time. If I could remove a little screw (No38 in the diagram below, children) by whacking a piece of drilled dowel on it and unscrewing, I may be able to refit the shaft and keep everything crossed it would work well enough to get me by. (And the worst that could happen would be loosing reverse gear) Worth a try then ...

Andy Heather came round and and helped remove the flywheel, and replace the seal. It wasn't obviously leaking, but it made sense to change it anyway. Andy rechecked the endfloat tolerance, and I ordered a new gearbox input shaft seal. The shaft still had the circlip on the end and may have damaged it.

Well, it all went back together alarmingly well. No time for test drives, we just backed off the drive and drove to Vic Farm , and it made it there with no issues at all. (Thanks for pic BleedingMoody)

Unfortunately we lost reverse gear somewhere in the field ... :roll:

Topic Author
Mike1973
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Mike1973 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:17 am

Right, time for an update. Not that I'm sure anyone reads the forum anymore? Anyway, this is a good place to keep a record of what the kombi gets up to ...

So, after loosing reverse gear on the free garden gearbox that did us well for a couple of years, I picked up a substitute Big Nut Tranny from friends after they heard about our troubles at Stanford Hall. One week later after a lovely road trip to South Wales I have a partially dismantled hub to hub big nut H code 'box on the drive, and am £100 poorer ...

8th May

I'm told it was running, but one of the RGB's was noisy ... Quick inspection once it's home also reveals a broken clutch arm spring, and missing nuts and bolts that are inevitable on partially disassembled stuff.

I spend the next few weeks researching how to replace late model RGB bearings. I admit, I thought it was outside my limited skills, but there wasn't a budget for this even before I bought the 'box, so it was down to me ... :roll: Rather than get stuck in, I distracted myself by giving the thing a half hearted scrub and clean.

This is not a How To. For that, I heartily recommend you see this excellent build thread -

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=83572&start=120

OK. Read it? Now you know how to do the job properly.

Topic Author
Mike1973
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Mike1973 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:59 am

First job - removing the pressed on access plate on the inside of the RGB's. I chose the 'weld a nut on' method, which would have worked much better if my welder was working. Anyway, after welds which still haunt my dreams several weeks on, I managed to get the plates off, and in a saveable condition for reuse. I took no photos as I felt they could be held in evidence against me in the future.

Bearings didn't look too bad ... I was wondering what noisy bearings would actually look like?

Then the cover came off what I thought was the naughty noisy RGB. Still no obvious damage or excessive wear ...

Although the spacer ring was well and truly stuck on.

Now work stalled as I dragged my heels over how to find out of these bearings actually needed replacing at all, and if so, how do I get them out? This was I thought the dodgy side, yet I couldn't see anything wrong?

I was told it was usually the lower bearings that go, so I ordered a couple from GSF. Although they show SKF ones on their website photos, it was a Vetech brand that arrived a couple of days later. I don't know the first thing about bearings, but I did think they felt poorer quality than the old ones I already had in the RGB's. If I was going to all the effort of changing these puppies, I wanted to be happy with them ...
Pukka stepped in and helped out with a complete new set of quality bearings, so the Vetechs went back to GSF :twisted:

Stripping what I thought was the 'good' RGB, I was met with this sight, which made me wonder if I had maybe got confused as to which side was actually duff ...
Now, even I can tell something wasn't right with this one ...

Topic Author
Mike1973
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Mike1973 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:17 am

Bearing removal.

I wasn't keen to do this. I figured it was only something I was going to do once, and being a real tighwad I didn't want to spend money I didn't have on bearing pullers that would just sit around in the bottom of a draw after this. I did see if a local proper old school engineering shop could help, but they didn't have the right pullers, might have to make something, would cost between £40 - £100 to do ... Sod that!

Rich Bigbulli sent me a print out of typed instructions from the SSVC newsletter, and using these I had a go at making my own bearing pullers. They weren't pretty, and they definitely could have been made better, but they did manage to pull the bearings out without the loss of eyes/fingers, so in my book a good result.

Destroying the bearing cage. The nylon was an arse. Metal is easier.
Bearing puller in place
I found that when I wound the nuts up, it twisted the bolt and pulled the pullers out of the bearing. I flattened the ends so I could stick a spanner on to keep them in the right place.

This is all the bearing puller is. Two long bolts from the local hardware store. The bolt heads have been skillfully sculpted with a grinder, to look like flat lollypops, the same same size as the bearing balls. You stick the lolly pop ends in the gaps where you've mullered the bearing cage out of the way, then twist them 90 degrees. You can then pull the bearing out.

And this is how I got the other bearings out. It was even more hillbilly, but worked, after a fashion ...

Topic Author
Mike1973
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Mike1973 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:26 am

New bearings all round, many thanks Pukka!

Tyzel

Post by Tyzel » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:20 am

Keep up the good work Mike!

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:32 am

Yes we insomniacs do like a good read to pas the time..

Better than counting 40 sheep...much better...

I had no sooner caught up than there was a reply..

Everyday is a school day..Even the day you die...

As they say

If you think you can..You can..
If you think you can't .You probably can't..

Well done Mike..
G

1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Claushema
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Claushema » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:14 am

I read it as well. Well done hillbilly style.

jammytask

Post by jammytask » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:38 am

Good skills Mike.

Claushema
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Claushema » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:06 am

Jammytask,
Where are you in central France? I have a place near Sancerre.

jammytask

Post by jammytask » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:14 am

Claushema, I'm in Creuse, 23600, looks to be a couple of hours south of you. If you are ever down this way do stop by for a beer and chat about vw's.

vwbuzzers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwbuzzers » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:13 pm

Well done Mike let's hope your on the home straight. At least it keeps your interest going in these old vans when the jobs come up.

Topic Author
Mike1973
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Mike1973 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:47 am

The condition of the paint on our poor old kombi has been getting me down for a while now, especially when I saw photos from 10+ years ago when we first got it. It's slowly happened after years of exposure to European weather, and many, many miles in all weather.

Patina preservation by Mike, on Flickr

I've been sidetracked the last couple of years mucking around with vintage racing bikes, another passion that goes back much further than my love affair with the Kombi. I'd recently bought a 1948 Rotrax that was basically a pile of rust, and was surprised when a few evenings of elbow grease, a kitchen brillo pad and some vinegar, had revealed a lot of original paint and transfers. This was the kick start I needed to see what could be done about the Kombi. The sun was out yesterday, it was a glorious lazy Sunday, I had a new pack of fine wool and a cheap bottle of Tescos car polish in the shed ...

It was slow and cautious work, and I was keeping a sharp lookout for the red oxide primer the Aussies like to use, but the results far exceeded my expectations. I don't remember the Kombi ever being this shiny!
And just to demonstrate just how bad the paintwork had got after several years neglect -

ImagePatina preservation by Mike, on Flickr

Collinite 476s is on order, as I'd now like to presserve the paint a little better form now on.

jammytask

Post by jammytask » Mon May 22, 2017 6:04 pm

What a difference, well worth the effort. Chris

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Mon May 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Looking very good..
Pleasure to be next to you at Stanford Hall by the lake..
G
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop