65 Crew Cab project

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.
Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

65 Crew Cab project

Post by Eternal Optimist »

Well, some progress at last. I imported this one from Johannesburg - not rust free as it had spent most of its time on the Eastern Cape. It spent a year in the garage whilst I confused 'spending money on bits' with 'making progress'. The idea was a quick patch up then use it. Then I decided the only way I'd be happy would be if it went down to bare metal. That made me popular with the neighbours. After more than a year sitting on castors waiting to find time to start to pick it to bits and weld on the panels I've collected, I've found someone who is willing to come and do a bit of work cutting the old panels off and welding the new ones on. And with luck, I'll have attached some photo's here, or this will just be a load of random letters... [img][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/ ... SMay04.jpg[/IMG][/img][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/ ... ing023.jpg[/IMG][img][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/ ... h06001.jpg[/IMG][/img][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/ ... h06008.jpg[/IMG]
Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Hmmm....what am I doing wrong here? Anyone got any useful tips?
bigbulli
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by bigbulli »

You just need Image at the end. Your html was a bit messy thats all. Nice pics :wink:

Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Nice one, thanks
katastrophenschutzwagen

Post by katastrophenschutzwagen »

bugger the van,look at that garage :!: :!:
Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Thanks! Every time I've moved house a decent garage has been on the list. Usually it was the first thing to get knocked off. When we looked at this one the bloke selling it pointed to the bottom of the garden and said the magic words 'planning permission to build a three bay garage'. Apart from the brickwork I did a fair chunk of it myself. What I can confirm is that it doesn't matter how big, it's never big enough. It's now full of the split and a very nice bay and a whole lot of crap.
Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Time for an update. I've decided to get some work done rather than just buying panels and a nice new welder.
Start with the nearside front outrigger top hat and jacking point
Then remove the rear side panel
And then off comes another outrigger, and around a kilo of South African sand falls out
Then the whole side panel; comes off....to be replaced by this Brazilian single cab panel cut to size and an NOS corner. I'm going for louvered side panels instead of the South African vents. Once I've put a new bed on there's no way I'm cutting any more holes in it than needed!
All cleaned up ready for some more of Mr Schofield's finest sheet metal.
Back to work tomorrow....no more progress for a while
flatfourfan

Post by flatfourfan »

Awesome, I was wondering why so much rust on a South African bus and then I saw the Northern Cape licence plate..........and all was clear....

I think I saw pictures of this one a while ago, but someone said that it came from Johannesburg............any more history on this CC?

Great work so far, don't let anyone give you a bollocking over the removal of the vents as it's been proven many times over that they simply don't work...........I've removed mine and am also in the process of grafting in side vents, I just wish that I had access to the long and short panels for the replacement, I had to make do with grafts removed from a bay window DC..............

I'll be keeping an eye on this...........good luck.....
Byron Bamboo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Byron Bamboo »

Good to see some progress on this bus Nigel..

Keep up the good work..

One thing, did 65's come with the later style vents or ones in the rear quarters..

Cheers

Deano
The Gaffa Tape Tour 2007

'58 RHD PGSG Microbus
Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

FlatFourFan...Well spotted, it would have been easier if it had come with GP plates! I bought it in Johannesburg from a dealer on the edge of Sandton in September 02. Never meant to buy it, I got a mint one owner 40,000 mile XJ6 from the guy first (genuine Gauteng car) then started debating the merits of a 40 foot container vs. a 20 footer....went back to the same dealer and he had this. It clearly needed some work, but I decided it was time to get my first VW. When I bought it, it still had a current SA roadworthiness certificate. It was rougher than most Taxis...

Hiya Dean, those Dells are still sitting around, I've got all the bits I need to build a 1776 when I get fed up cutting, welding and grinding! It's actually a 66 model year, those have the bigger rear window, plain rear quarters and vents above the wheel arches. I was almost tempted by a complete rear clip including bulkhead and rear window from an earlier model but decided I'd try to keep it right for the year. ish.
Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Hmmm....called Autocraft this week to order a side panel for the offside - at Vanfest they were just getting the tooling sorted out. Turns out there's not enough people asking for the panels with those late crew/bay vents....so the tool hasn't got any further than the drawing board. I thought about calling ten times adopting ten different accents, but was stupid enough to share the idea whilst I was on the phone to them. Bugger. Contacted Gerson, asked him if he does them, email back from him says he does....
Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Collected a load of Gerson's panels off musclebus last night....still a few more to come. The number of excuses as to why I'm not moving faster with this are shrinking by the day.
Popcorn balls

Post by Popcorn balls »

Looking good.

Nice to see another crew cab on it's way to being back on the road
ppp

Post by ppp »

Keep posting,
Love your dc!!!
Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Worlds slowest moving restoration update....
Found someone who's looking for a bit of weekend work to come and visit to help me get off dead centre.
First panel to go in is the new riser panel above the rear torsion tube. Need to fill this gap - also need to fix the heater pipe.
Neat repair to the heater tube - before (worse than it looks)
After - almost done
Then the new panel - hand made, unbelievably good fit. Laid the floor in just to get the sloping panel at the right height.
Today the perforated seal engine compartment seal retainer got swapped for one cut off an NOS Brazilian panel
A new support pillar also went in - looks like it's for a late bay, will need a bit of trimming at the bottom edge
Looks fine until the rear quarter goes on...
Trim a bit off the bottom, and we'll be in good shape. Leave it as it is, and it will spoil the line. Both rear corners and the valance are NOS, so it can't stay as it is. Turns out the NS support pillar is the same - the bus had a bump at some stage, and a later pillar was put in - this side will get the same treatment as the OS one.
There's a bit of fettling needed to get the battery tray to fit, then the rear corner can go on - it's an early bay, so fine here...
But a bit of work needed here to get the line right.
The nearside will be a bit easier, split NOS rear corner, and an NOS pick up platform tray!
Since I last updated this thread, I've been busy insulating the garage roof (not finished yet, too much crew cab up there), painting the floor and buying more stuff for it. Let's hope I can keep up the momentum....