Ex Old Bill. My advice UPDATED. PLEASE READ!

Anything aircooled which gets arf inched
jonnolly

Ex Old Bill. My advice UPDATED. PLEASE READ!

Post by jonnolly »

I get very saddened, as do we all, when I hear of vans going missing, often never to be seen again. I feel there are a few things that all owners could do to lessen their chances of being a victim, for as we all know, there are no guarantees. I was a Cop in the East End of London for over 16 years and have seen a lot of car crime, much of it avoidable. Now I'm not going to get holier than thou here because I have had both theft of and theft from my vehicles, so we are all potential victims. Car security has moved on bundles since I last dealt with it, and thus the thieves have become craftier still. No alarm on its own is protection. How many times do you hear one going off at night, moan about it and go back to sleep? They are a deterrent, I have one on my van, but have to work with other measures. Here, for anybody interested, is my advice for securing your van.

1 Whether you park on a drive, in the street or in a garage, get a clamp on it, and don't skimp on a cheap one. How much have you invested in that van again?

This is a link to the type of wheel clamp I have for those interested. It weighs a ton and makes a racket taking it off. It will fit various wheels sizes. It takes a few minutes to fit, but so what? The choice Cilla is yours, but get something on it. It really does put them off. They're lazy bar stewards. If they weren't, they'd have a real job, so a wheel clamp may just make them search for something else to steal. A nice BMW perhaps. Less BMW's on the road, now there's a whole new thread......

http://www.bulldogsecure.com/product/10 ... heel-clamp

I also have one of these that I used to fit on my motorhome, but it is adjustable to fit most vehicles. Another ace piece of it

http://www.centinel.org.uk/clutch_claw.php

2 This next measure is very effective when vans are parked on drives, but can work in the street if you have more than one car. BLOCK IT IN. If you have a drive and more than one car, get the van blocked inside other parked vehicles. Thieves don't want confrontation. they want minimum noise and an easy get away. So make it hard for them. They are very unlikely to want to shift cars about to get the van out, and would make a hell of a noise doing it. Talking of which, if you do have a drive, is it nice quiet tarmac or brick? Lovely. You won't hear a sound as your van is rolled away for good. So

3 Get the drive shingled. It really does make a racket when you walk on it so is a good way of p%ssing them off even further.

4 An alarm is good but can be by-passed. However, not many thieves will carry a spare rotor arm or LT/HT lead so take that off every night. OK, so it takes two minutes. You will have the rest of your life to mourn the loss of your wheels. And finally Esther....

5 Locking wheel nuts, stereo out and expensive items out of sight. If there is nothing for them to lift they will go elsewhere.

You may want to consider a tracker as well. They do work and have a high success rate when it comes to recovery. Also,if you see a new splitty parked up anywhere, find out about it. It may just be missing from somewhere else.

Well that's my lot. take it or leave it, up to you. Just do what ever you can. If one van is less likely to be nicked, job done.

All the best folks
Last edited by jonnolly on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image Image

m1xmag

Re: Ex Old Bill. My advice (for what it's worth...)

Post by m1xmag »

Some good suggestions there, make it as hard as possible for the scum bags.
jonnolly wrote:I get very saddened, as do we all, when I hear of vans going missing, often never to be seen again. I feel there are a few things that all owners could do to lessen their chances of being a victim, for as we all know, there are no guarantees. I was a Cop in the East End of London for over 16 years and have seen a lot of car crime, much of it avoidable. Now I'm not going to get holier than thou here because I have had both theft of and theft from my vehicles, so we are all potential victims. Car security has moved on bundles since I last dealt with it, and thus the thieves have become craftier still. No alarm on its own is protection. How many times do you hear one going off at night, moan about it and go back to sleep? They are a deterrent, I have one on my van, but have to work with other measures. Here, for anybody interested, is my advice for securing your van.

1 Whether you park on a drive, in the street or in a garage, get a clamp on it, and don't skimp on a cheap one. How much have you invested in that van again?

This is a link to the type of wheel clamp I have for those interested. It weighs a ton and makes a racket taking it off. It will fit various wheels sizes. It takes a few minutes to fit, but so what? The choice Cilla is yours, but get something on it. It really does put them off. They're lazy bar stewards. If they weren't, they'd have a real job, so a wheel clamp may just make them search for something else to steal. A nice BMW perhaps. Less BMW's on the road, now there's a whole new thread......

http://www.bulldog-security-products.co ... 14-680-618

2 This next measure is very effective when vans are parked on drives, but can work in the street if you have more than one car. BLOCK IT IN. If you have a drive and more than one car, get the van blocked inside other parked vehicles. Thieves don't want confrontation. they want minimum noise and an easy get away. So make it hard for them. They are very unlikely to want to shift cars about to get the van out, and would make a hell of a noise doing it. Talking of which, if you do have a drive, is it nice quiet tarmac or brick? Lovely. You won't hear a sound as your van is rolled away for good. So

3 Get the drive shingled. It really does make a racket when you walk on it so is a good way of p%ssing them off even further.

4 An alarm is good but can be by-passed. However, not many thieves will carry a spare rotor arm or LT/HT lead so take that off every night. OK, so it takes two minutes. You will have the rest of your life to mourn the loss of your wheels. And finally Esther....

5 Locking wheel nuts, stereo out and expensive items out of sight. If there is nothing for them to lift they will go elsewhere.

You may want to consider a tracker as well. They do work and have a high success rate when it comes to recovery. Also,if you see a new splitty parked up anywhere, find out about it. It may just be missing from somewhere else.

Well that's my lot. take it or leave it, up to you. Just do what ever you can. If one van is less likely to be nicked, job done.

All the best folks
'67 Sportsmobile

I'm not giving up yet.....

richierich37
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by richierich37 »

some sound advice dude!........................

wonder how many will take action?????? :roll:

personally i opted for the clamp, used it a few times and it now lives in my garden shed! :oops:

think i'll dig it out. :wink:

RICHIE C
SBS UK #37
P.B. 16.88 @ 77.1MPH
http://www.steeringboxscrapers.net/

jonnolly

Post by jonnolly »

richierich37 wrote:some sound advice dude!........................

wonder how many will take action?????? :roll:

personally i opted for the clamp, used it a few times and it now lives in my garden shed! :oops:

think i'll dig it out. :wink:

Like I said, a few minutes to put on, a lifetime to regret!
Image Image Image

ollieb7

Post by ollieb7 »

Good call many thanks.

I for one have a drive - dug a great big blody hole in it, burried a long heavy duty chain in concrete into that hole and leave a loop at ground level for another chain to padlock too and secure round the chassis.... The only thing is you have to remember to take it off be fore you go off...... :roll:
65 mdl double door walk through EZ Camper
Resto thread - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51283
http://www.haywood-classic-custom.co.uk/
Bug gone to Switzerland! :-(

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BJ1 »

ollieb7 wrote:Good call many thanks.

I for one have a drive - dug a great big blody hole in it, burried a long heavy duty chain in concrete into that hole and leave a loop at ground level for another chain to padlock too and secure round the chassis.... The only thing is you have to remember to take it off be fore you go off...... :roll:
Neat idea - could be improved by connecting to the mains at night. Oh all right then, an electric fence thingy.
1966 SO42 Westy in Velvet Green - on the road at last!
1967 Devon from Devon still in Devon
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA
1971 patina Delux from Montana now living in Germany
1972 Devon now owned by No 1 son!

jonnolly

Post by jonnolly »

BJ1 wrote:
ollieb7 wrote:Good call many thanks.

American Graffiti!
Image Image Image

jonnolly

Re: Ex Old Bill. My advice UPDATED re clutch claw!

Post by jonnolly »

I SEE A FEW MORE NICKED. PLEASE READ. IF IT SAVES ONE FROM THE SCUM THEN JOB DONE.
Image Image Image

mark sirett
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Ex Old Bill. My advice UPDATED. PLEASE READ!

Post by mark sirett »

All good ideas except the gravel. if you need an ambulance crew to get you out in a hurry gravel is a nightmare (unless you are nice and light) :D

jonnolly

Post by jonnolly »

mark sirett wrote:All good ideas except the gravel. if you need an ambulance crew to get you out in a hurry gravel is a nightmare (unless you are nice and light) :D

Unless you have the bigger stuff like I have, doesn't get pulled all over the road when you drive off either!
Image Image Image

mark sirett
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by mark sirett »

ah haa good thinkin. M

Marvelwear
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Marvelwear »

I used to have a taser longarm !fitted to the steering wheel ,remote control 12 " range would zapp the twoker with 900k volts!and leave them unconcious in your vehicle whilst the siren waked you so you were able to take them for a swim! err I meen to the police station ,but it was deemed to dodgy as the wife would have been zapped by forgetting the key thob,so I got rid :( but these thing are available ,not legal ,but avaiable. 8)
[img]http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo27 ... 902021.jpg[/img] 63 CKD Australian type2t1b School clothing bus from Melbourne called"Marvin"

harryvonstacks

Post by harryvonstacks »

I want one of those taser thingies!! and a under seat exploding Dildo. as the recipitant gets zapped the 12" rubber man sword penetrates through the seat sprearing the unaware theif right up the jaksie pinning him to the roof as 900v of electricity rattle his fillings from his teeth!

HMMMM, however you may need to buy another seat!
PER MARE PER TERRAM. SINCE 1664

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

:cheers:

The gravel is better for not showing up those oil weeps too.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Nik
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Nik »

As a no cost option, if you are leaving it for any length of time, remove one or more wheels.

Obviously keep the wheel away from the vehicle and the bolts too.

Not as onerous a task as you might think, with an electric rattle gun it can be done safely very fast.