Leaking oil from Crankshaft Pulley

jonnyboy23

Leaking oil from Crankshaft Pulley

Post by jonnyboy23 »

Right its winter and ive decided to try and tackle this ongoing problem. The engines a 1641 and leaks oil under load from the crankshaft pulley. Ive replaced the old pulley for another standard one from gsf with little success. It doesn't leak when stopped only when running and its not a substantial amount leaking when running but it makes a right mess of the engine bay and its doing my head in!
I've attached a photo of the engine setup, the area i think might be the problem is the engine breathing as the engine has just a little k&N filter attached to the oil filler, this seems to be always clogged up. Could this be the problem, i know there is crankcase pressure in all vw engines so my question is should it have a better breather on it?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

"Chez La Portuguesa"
Image Image

nodding dog68

Re: Leaking oil from Crankshaft Pulley

Post by nodding dog68 »

surely it wouldnt hurt getting a breather box ?? worth a go i'd say

rodney72
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by rodney72 »

sounds like your in the need of a oil breather my friend, try venting both rocker covers to a breather and maybe a connection to the carbs to get a bit of negative pressure too. Get rid of the K&N and have your oil return there. There are lots of breathers on the market i happen to have a CB one i dont need if your interested ? which will do the job i had it on for a bit but went for a larger one. good luck and happy new year.

jonnyboy23

Post by jonnyboy23 »

Cheers for the reply guys, I was unsure whether an oil breather will be overkill on a 1641 engine? But like you say its worth a try. Rodney72 you have pm.
"Chez La Portuguesa"
Image Image

zippy
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by zippy »

Definately a breather issue, you really need a pipe running to one of the carbs to create a bit of negative case pressure but it will need a trap/breather baffle box on it so oil won't purge straight up it. I made my own big breather box for mine as a brand new 2276 breathes quite a lot and the rear pully is the first to show as it has no real seal to speak of, just a reverse screw helix to push the lube back :wink: A small breather box will cure it :D
http://www.vdubshop.co.uk

Retro, it's the future!!

rodney72
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by rodney72 »

PM'd you jonnyboy.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

Assuming the oil is coming from there.

Could be the oil slinger wasn't great when the engine was rebuilt, or the oil grooves on the pulley aren't perfect, or simply the case is worn too.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.