Steering Wheels

os1624
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Steering Wheels

Post by os1624 »

I have a LHD US import 1967 bus.

I'm loking to replace the steering wheel and really want a wooden wheel. I have looked on the VW Heritage/SSP website and found several wheels that fit what I am looking for.

The wheel type that I'm looking at are the 5 wooden wheels with three chrome spokes with circular holes cut through the spokes. Thats the easy bit.
http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Interior/ ... lateID=ssp

Then I see that I now need to decide on diameter, and depth of wheel! decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Does anyone have any experience of these wheels that can instantly cut out one or two of them.

There are size choices of 15" with 4 1/8" dish, 14 1/2" with 3" dish, 13 1/2" with 3 3/4" dish.

and then an option of fitting to a 5 hole boss! And to think all i wanted to do was change my wheel! Well bugger me sideways and call me Barbara at weekends!

Final question: would one of these aftermarket wheels fit a Creative Engineering rack & pinion set up? I'm presuming so...
The Blaupunkt Bus '66 11 Window Swedish Import The closest I'll get to a Swedish Blonde!

jellibus

Re: Steering Wheels

Post by jellibus »

Have a look at my resto post (on here). There's a pic of my new one - which from your description is exactly what you're looking for.
Not sure where it's from, but I can easily find out. I think it's about a 15" or so :?:

J-bus
If it aint broke - take it apart and make sure it is :-)

chaser

Post by chaser »

I think I`d want the biggest diameter with the smallest dish, as when the wheel is sat on the boss it may sit too high. I like the wheel flat, as close to original as possible.

os1624
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by os1624 »

Jellibus / Chaser,

thanks guys.

Jellibus, you are quite correct, that is exactly the look of the wheel that i'm looking for.

Chaser, i think you're quite right about the dimensions, especially as i am a short arse. Otherwise i'll be holding the steering wheel with my teeth!

Ben
The Blaupunkt Bus '66 11 Window Swedish Import The closest I'll get to a Swedish Blonde!

chaser

Post by chaser »

I need somewhere to rest my investment. :D

os1624
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by os1624 »

I had considered a rarely seen mod to my pedals...

wooden blocks so i can reach the pedals! A bit like Short Round in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!

jellibus

Post by jellibus »

:D thought so :D

The 'dish' is pretty close to the standard wheel. I think it was from MWS, but will find out for definate if you wish.

Seen as your a short a*** you won't get the usual 'S S N S' or splitty stiff neck syndrome when you're driving on a long journey.
If it aint broke - take it apart and make sure it is :-)

nodding dog68

Post by nodding dog68 »

got my iron cross one from 'billet56' i think :roll:
bought it at volksworld show a few years back now
i love it to pieces..... dead flat no dish :wink:
looks the dogs..... well i like it 8)

os1624
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by os1624 »

As long as you're happy with it Nodding dog then thats all that matters.

i've ended up ordering the 15" wooden wheel from VW Heritage/SSP with the chrome spokes and holes in the spokes. it will match (hopefully) the door handles and window winders in the same design.

you never know, once its all together I might hate it! and have to start all over again...

thanks to all of you for your input.

ben

Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

os1624 wrote: i've ended up ordering the 15" wooden wheel from VW Heritage/SSP with the chrome spokes and holes in the spokes. it will match (hopefully) the door handles and window winders in the same design.
What window winders???
The bitter taste of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten

os1624
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by os1624 »

OK, maybe I got the window winders from Coolair.... I'm losing track of what I've been buying up for me bus.

Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

os1624 wrote:OK, maybe I got the window winders from Coolair.... I'm losing track of what I've been buying up for me bus.
My comment was more based with regards to which windows will you be winding??
The bitter taste of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten

wilgartw

Post by wilgartw »

Gnarly wrote:My comment was more based with regards to which windows will you be winding??
that was my thought, perhaps he has a ....sssh.... bay
59 kombi

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those don't.

Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

wilgartw wrote:
Gnarly wrote:My comment was more based with regards to which windows will you be winding??
that was my thought, perhaps he has a ....sssh.... bay

I'd keep that quiet if he has :wink:

os1624
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by os1624 »

Bugger!

I've just realised! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Silly Benjamin, got soooo carried away with his spending spree... Well I guess that puts me up there for blonde of the year award.

Right, I'm off to Boots now to buy some blonde hair dye!

Anyone want some window winders....?