Help. Just changed Gear Rod Coupler, noisy transmission?

TEXAS_PETE
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Help. Just changed Gear Rod Coupler, noisy transmission?

Post by TEXAS_PETE »

I had no noise, then I changed the rear rod coupler and the front bush under the gear stick, it now shifts nice and smooth but I've got an awful noise coming from "I think" the transmission?

Any advice?

My first thought is change it back see if it goes away, I don't understand what's caused it?

Peter

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Re: Help. Just changed Gear Rod Coupler, noisy transmission?

Post by vwJim »

Coupler touching the body? Basically anything bridging the rubber mounts out. Shuttle cocks moved / worn away?
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

TEXAS_PETE
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by TEXAS_PETE »

Thanks Jim

I'll have a look. I checked the front shuttle cock and it looked better quality to the one I was going to put on so left it. You cant do the rear one without removing the box right? I'll have a little move about on the shaft see if there is any play.

Thanks for the reply!

TEXAS_PETE
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by TEXAS_PETE »

Just been under the van and undone everything. It all looks lovey and snug. The bushes seem to be doing the right thing. The shuttle cocks bushes are not the best but there doing the best they can. The only big difference to how it was before is the WW rear coupling has nearly zero flex?

TEXAS_PETE
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by TEXAS_PETE »

Just put the old coupler back on. Silent again. .

Well i'm happy but ...... at the same time. The WW one defiantly has no flex and it obviously need some. The gear shift is ok really. Shame ive just wasted money on bushes and its made no difference. From what i've read people have a hard time cutting the old one off. so i suppose its going nowhere.

Andy C
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Andy C »

Peter,

I had exactly the same problem when I changed my coupler to a new one a few weeks ago. The noise in 2nd and particularly 3rd was noticably louder. I did all the checks as Jim says and no difference. My original coupler was completely shot with almost a 1/4 rotation play so couldn't go back. As I was concerned about the noise I changed the transmission fluid and it was 1/2 litre under=filled. With new fluid it is definitely quieter but still louder than with the old coupler.

All I can think is that the new coupler is more rigid therefore transmits more noise. Probably a good thing as it forced me to change the fluid!

I posted this on the Facebook page and someone did reply that they had the same experience with a new coupler...

My gear shift is now much more accurate though
1964 Australian built 'Kombi'

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

Interesting to know. Not come across that before.

Maybe the coupler cage is bridging out the rubber section or they're using a compound that doesn't isolate the vibrations well enough.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

TEXAS_PETE
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by TEXAS_PETE »

Thanks for the reply Andy.

I've just done all the fluid. So I know that's all tip top.

I don't see how the WW coupler has any flex at all! The OG coupler has a rubber section all the way around and the WW version has a metal section connecting the two half's. I'm sure the rubber is somewhere inside but surely the outer metal bit removes any flex.

My coupler looks quite perished but is still functioning OK. The gear change doesn't feel as tight as it did with a no flex, flexible coupler. Ideally I want something in the middle, less flex than the worn OG version more flex than no flex. :roll:

Did you fit a WW version Andy?

TEXAS_PETE
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by TEXAS_PETE »

Are there any other good coupler options?

Andy C
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Andy C »

Hi Pete,

My coupler was rotating in that the rubber middle was rotating inside the crimp if that makes sense. I've seen on the Samba some people actually drill them and put a bolt through to add strength. I considered the neoprene one but some complain about the additional noise and vibration.

I purchased my coupler from Schofields who have it advertised as WW but when it arrived it was a Brazilian make (something beginning with 'O' but can't remember!) - no complaints though as the shift is perfect and its solid. It needs to be tough as if you consider the leverage you can get by pulling the gear stick it is quite significant. With the old coupler I could move the gear stick 3 inches side to side in neutral and that was with a Vintage speed shifter!

If it makes any difference I did replace the front hockey stick bush and the front guide bush at the same time. I guess if the new coupler transmits more noise to the rod then if its touching the bus anywhere along the length its going to amplify that noise further.

Also just double check that in 1st and 3rd the coupler isn't touching the body. My gearbox sits slightly high at the nosecone end (Framehorns slightly out) and the coupler was close to the body - slight fettling of the body fixed this.

Hope this helps as I know how annoying that noise is.

Andy C
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Andy C »

Pete,

Forgot to say - the Brazilian coupler looked exactly the same as the one I removed and visible rubber connecting the two halves. Not sure what the WW looks like by comparison.

Andy

TEXAS_PETE
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by TEXAS_PETE »

Thanks a lot Andy.

My packet is also in Brazilian but its sold as WW, who knows about that.

I've changed or checked the other bushes. Apart from the rear shuttle cock as the transmission has to come out to get to it. I actually took the front shuttle cock off and put it back on because it looked better quality than the new one i bought.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Deta ... 111711175B
That's the one that is causing me trouble. Does anyone think i could just have a faulty one?

I've just ordered one of these. It looks identical to the one on at the moment. I'm not sure what the A-B on the end of the part number mean? but as the WW version fits all i assume its a fit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-1964-Gear ... SwAy5aqAAd

My original coupler int ''that bad'' yet so i'll run with it until the new one turns up.

Andy C
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Andy C »

Pete,

That WW looks the same as the one I fitted and similar to the one I removed. Perhaps they need time to 'loosen up' by flexing so maybe try it for a while?

I've just soundproofed my bus too with DODO Hex mat which has made a difference too.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

TEXAS_PETE wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:10 am
Thanks for the reply Andy.

I've just done all the fluid. So I know that's all tip top.

I don't see how the WW coupler has any flex at all! The OG coupler has a rubber section all the way around and the WW version has a metal section connecting the two half's. I'm sure the rubber is somewhere inside but surely the outer metal bit removes any flex.

My coupler looks quite perished but is still functioning OK. The gear change doesn't feel as tight as it did with a no flex, flexible coupler. Ideally I want something in the middle, less flex than the worn OG version more flex than no flex. :roll:

Did you fit a WW version Andy?
Do you have a photo of both?

Sounds like your old one was the cheap style repro that fall apart and leave you with no gears.

The OG one has a cage that even if the internal rubber fails it still stays together to allow for gear selection.

Andy C
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Andy C »

Hi Jim,
My original one was OG style with the cage which had failed but was still held together. The replacement was the same style but as Peter says, very stiff by comparison. Like you suggest, I wonder if the compound has changed?