Fuel gauge reading zero ish after long period off road

DUBious

Re: Fuel gauge reading zero ish after long period off road

Post by DUBious »

To prove this out, I connected it all back up and manually raised the float chamber....and guess what ! It works.
As a temporary fix I'm going to drill a hole in the top and empty what ever is inside out (fuel one would assume) while I wait for a new one to arrive. Must be some sort of fault with the float vessel
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Stevep
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Stevep »

Isn’t it good when you figure something out by yourself!!
This is the fun of running a classic vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DUBious

Post by DUBious »

Fixed. Drilled a small 2mm hole in top of float chamber to empty it, then sealed outside join of float chamber (short term fix) but gauge working as it should.

I'm pretty sure there is a flaw in the manufacturing process of the float chamber. Likely after injection moulding the 2 halves are vibration or sonic welded together and this is where the fault lies.Image

DUBious

Post by DUBious »

Stevep wrote:ImageImageImageImageImage
Isn’t it good when you figure something out by yourself!!
This is the fun of running a classic vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I guess lol, but I'm worried the whole.batch of these is dodgy so the new one could develop the same fault. My plan is to get a new one, then do a better repair on the old (soldering iron all around joining seam)

Nocky
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Nocky »

I’m going to try using a soldering iron on the old one when the new one arrives, and melt the seam so I know it’s truly sealed (Do that then submerge in a bucket for a few weeks) I suspect even the new one will also develop the same fault as it’s likely a fault caused by the manufacturing process so they may all be the same (And should be)
I wish I knew who the manufacturer was as I’d call them and tell them. Anyone know ?
1964 Microbus US import - The dream has become reality :bs:
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

Andy C wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:23 pm
I really have no idea why the 12v gauge wouldn't work. Hope this helps!
I tried two brand new ones. Neither moved until I almost dropped one / caught it, then it worked. So it's like the needle was stuck and needed a "shake"
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

Nocky wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:07 am I’m going to try using a soldering iron on the old one when the new one arrives, and melt the seam so I know it’s truly sealed (Do that then submerge in a bucket for a few weeks) I suspect even the new one will also develop the same fault as it’s likely a fault caused by the manufacturing process so they may all be the same (And should be)
I wish I knew who the manufacturer was as I’d call them and tell them. Anyone know ?
Didn't you buy a genuine VDO sender?
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.
Nocky
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Nocky »

vwJim wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:34 am
Nocky wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:07 am I’m going to try using a soldering iron on the old one when the new one arrives, and melt the seam so I know it’s truly sealed (Do that then submerge in a bucket for a few weeks) I suspect even the new one will also develop the same fault as it’s likely a fault caused by the manufacturing process so they may all be the same (And should be)
Didn't you buy a genuine VDO sender?
I didn’t buy anything, the previous owner had the new one put in. All I knew was, it’s not that old as the receipt was 2019 just before I brought the vehicle. I can’t see a vw part number on it though, so it must be aftermarket.
Nocky
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Nocky »

Just to add, when I say soldering iron all around the seam, I mean on the float vessel (It’s plastic) so I’ll melt the seam slightly then test in a bucket for a few days / weeks to see if it still floats with no fluid leaking inside
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

Genuine fuel senders will have VDO cast into the top.

White box crap has nothing.

Is it under warranty still! Could be less than a year old.
henk

Post by henk »

Yes,you have to check the sender in a bowl off fuel of water.
When you have the sender out of the tank the float can go up and down free.
It could be that there is a pin hole in the float and if you test it in liquid the float wil stay down and the meter will show empty.
I think that is also what i have with my sender, even being bought new.
If the float was all right you can measure the resistant off the sender.
You put one terminal from you multi meter where the cable comes from the fuel meter on your dash and the other terminal on the top off your sender to earth.
When the float is on the bottom you,so tank empty you should read 70-80 ohms
When the float is above,so fuel tank full you should read 0-10ohms

Henk!!!