REAR WHEEL

Topic Author
DRDOOLITTLE

REAR WHEEL

Post by DRDOOLITTLE » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:52 am

Can anyone help my husband. We have a 1965 split screen camper. He found an oil leak on the drivers side rear wheel. he decided to change the gasket like he had changed many times before. he drained the gear box oil, came to take off the cover (square cover) to find it was very tight. He managed eventually but something was wrong as when he came to take out the bearing it seems to be stuck on the shaft. He says this should not be stuck should normally come straight off. He has tried everything to pull it off but nothing helps. I have offered to buy a bearing puller but nothing seems to be suitable. He said if he puts the new seals and cover back on it will probably leak more and he wants to do it properly. Just hope that you can understand what he is trying to do from my description. Any advise would be helpful.

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: REAR WHEEL

Post by Who.Me? » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:40 pm

Does the bus have an original-style gearbox (with reduction gearboxes at the ends of the axles)? If so, I don't understand why he's trying to take the bearing off.

Does he actually mean the spacer?...
DSC_0416.JPG
DSC_0420.JPG
The spacer does get stuck on the axle some times. I think that the little o-ring that goes between the spacer and the bearing effectively 'glues' it to the inner race of the bearing.

If that's the problem, the first thing to do is get the bearing cover off. The spacer is fitted after the bearing cover, so the bearing cover may not want to come off if the spacer is stuck, but I've found that it can be persuaded. The seal inside the bearing cover is only rubber. It's usually soft enough that it'll deform and the bearing cover will come off leaving the spacer on the axle (the rubber seal gets thrown away, so it doesn't matter if this wrecks that seal).

I can then usually get the spacer off by alternately heating it and prying at it carefully with a pair of flat-bladed screwdrivers. I try to insert the screwdrivers in between the spacer and the bearing and lever/pry the spacer forward. . If the spacer moves a bit, I knock it back on, then pry it again and repeat, and repeat until it finally works lose. Some lubrication helps too. And lots of patience. And don't panic.

If he did really mean that he was trying to get the actual bearing off the axle, or if you have a beetle style transaxle with no reduction gearboxes, then the above won't be much help. If you can clarify, someone else might be able to help though.

Topic Author
DRDOOLITTLE

Post by DRDOOLITTLE » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Sorry for the confusion. Yes I did mean the spacer. Yes the van does have an original style gearbox with reduction gearbox. The seal cover is off but the spacer is stuck on the shaft. Thank you for taking the time to help we will give your idea a go need the van for Busfest.

molmeister

Post by molmeister » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:36 am

Morning -

One question I have is...on a 69 SS (Brazilian), is there a washer between the spacer and bearing itself? Thanks if anyone knows (the diagram I've seen shows the 1200cc only has this washer), but 'Pedro' has so many minors faults difficult to know what's actually supposed to be there and what isn't :lol:

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 am

Brazilians seem to have so many weird combinations. Its like they're made with whatever the factory had on the shelf that day. I've never seen any factory diagrams for them.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

molmeister

Post by molmeister » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:29 pm

Agreed - Ford seat belts, Imperial and Metric bolts, Torque settings all over the shop, home-made bolts and spacers, early Bay shoes plus an ignition barrel from something...all repairable but difficult to know what's genuine and what's not! I've had to buy Workshop Manual to give me a fighting chance ;-) ..... and join this elite Forum :D