Best Service Kit for 1500 SP

Gunnsie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Best Service Kit for 1500 SP

Post by Gunnsie »

Hi All,

I have owned my bus for nearly 3 years now, since it was imported in to the UK. Its a Brazilian 1500 SP. I haven't done anything to the engine so far as I was getting the outside looking how I wanted it to, but the time has come for me to start spending a bit of money on the engine to make sure she is reliable.

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on Service Kits and which one would be the best for the 1500 SP.

Is it worth paying out £200 for the ultimate kit from Cool Air https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/New_Pr ... e_Kit.html

I'd like to change it to Electronic Ignition to save having to replace points etc. Is it worth paying out for something like the Petronix?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Chris
Doris - 1972 Brazillian 15 Window Kombi
Gunnsie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Best Service Kit for 1500 SP

Post by Gunnsie »

Anyone?
Dougie
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by Dougie »

I've never used a Petronix, but fitted one of these about 10 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat since... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Camper-Th ... SwMtxXrFhY
VW Jim produced an excellent maintenance table which was printed in the Jan.2018 edition of the club magazine. That kit looks expensive to me, I would work out what needs doing and buy the bits you need. Replacing fuel hose is a good one though.
SSVC Club President
SSVC Committee - Membership Secretary
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

Have you been using the bus for three years, or has it been off the road since owning it?

I wouldn't buy that kit. It doesn't detail the type of fuel hose. I wouldn't use those glass fuel filters. I'd not use that oil. Can't work out was the little pot is.

As Dougie said, do a service (on the whole bus) and go from there.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.
Gunnsie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Gunnsie »

Hi Jim,

I have been driving it since I have owned it. (Not tons of miles though)

I do intend to do a service on the bus, but was just wondering what the best products are to do this with? Any recommendations?

Cheers