Re-wiring complete van

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.
Adamski123

Re-wiring complete van

Post by Adamski123 »

Hi could anyone help with rewiring or recommend anyone? It's a 62 bus with new loom and all new or refurbished parts (switches) ws8 area, thanks 07922312739 Adam
jayvanman

Re: Re-wiring complete van

Post by jayvanman »

Unless there's something physically stopping you doing it id say have a go yourself.

I am totally confused by electrics but fitting the wiring loom is easy, painting by numbers.

Go on thesamba.com

Top right is technical , then wiring diagrams.

Down load the diagram for your bus, year and country and follow the diagram.

If like me you're new to this start at the back.

DON'T CONNECT THE BATTERY UNTIL ALL LEADS CONNECTED

Make sure all the terminals are clean and there is a nice firm connection.

Start with rear lights, alternator, engine and starter etc

Then move up to the fuse box and horn and brake switch.

By then you've fitted "half" the loom and should have a confident feeling and realise it isn't difficult.

It's not.

Just follow the diagram and if it helps label the wires when you come out of the other side of the fuse box.

If you have a 9 pin relay on a usa bus I'd advise buying a new one from wolfbergwest in the usa, they can be a bit pricey once you've paid customs etc but I've never bought a working secondhand one and ended up buying one anyway, after a lot of head scratching and wasted time.

Take your time and enjoy.

Jason
he who sins grins
Gunnsie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Gunnsie »

Doris - 1972 Brazillian 15 Window Kombi
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ »

What I did when I rewired my bus with a new loom, was create lots of little tags with the destination of each terminal (I went posh and used a laminator). Each tag was then cable tied with v small ties to the end of each wire and once I had them all labelled it was simple to wire up.

I had a bespoke loom though with reversing lights, fire suppression, various leisure battery aux's, numerous gauges etc so it wasn't a straightforward build.

It saves you having to look at the wiring diagram every 5 mins.
clymoj

Post by clymoj »

JonnyCJ wrote:What I did when I rewired my bus with a new loom, was create lots of little tags with the destination of each terminal (I went posh and used a laminator). Each tag was then cable tied with v small ties to the end of each wire and once I had them all labelled it was simple to wire up.

I had a bespoke loom though with reversing lights, fire suppression, various leisure battery aux's, numerous gauges etc so it wasn't a straightforward build.

It saves you having to look at the wiring diagram every 5 mins.
I did the same with masking tape and a pen - has the advantage you can wrap it all in electrical tape to thread it.

In fact my top tip is use curtain wire to thread the run, then electrical tape the whole loom to the curtain wire, then pull it through. Makes a tricky job slightly less tricky.

Once the loom is threaded the length of the bus the rest is slow and detailed but pretty easy.
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ »

I threaded before labelling ! That's the hardest bit, getting it to the front over the hump.

Perseverance, waggling and the odd swear word and it'll happen.