Tools and equipment for a Bus restoration

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.
iomdub
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Tools and equipment for a Bus restoration

Post by iomdub »

Hi All,

After several years of dreaming, moaning at the Fiancee and reading this great site i have finally bought a 1961 Kombi Brazilian Import. I am picking it up on Friday and cannot wait. I have only seen pictures but the underside looks reasonable, the bodywork will need some work, there is no rear interior, however, on the plus side it has an engine and apparently ran 6 months ago :o (writing this makes me feel crazy). I will put some pics up when she is in my possession and i will be doing a project thread to ask for help/show progress.

One of my biggest headaches at the moment is trying to find a workshop/garage to rent that i can do the work in (living on an Island means property is at a premium). All being well i will have somewhere by this weekend to put my new baby in.

I have some experience with engines and renovating etc, however, the majority of my tools have been borrowed from a friend (I have the basics like a socket set etc).

I was wondering if you lovely people could give me some advice on the tools and equipment I should be looking to purchase for my new workshop and resto project. Money is a bit tight and the more i have to spend on other things is less to spend on the VW - so budget(ish) ideas welcomed.

I have thought about buying one of the Clarke tool kits (similar to this Tool Box) Does anyone have any recommendations?

Looking forward to sharing my journey/tears with you.
Last edited by iomdub on Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Tools and equipment for a Bus restoration

Post by BJ1 »

Welcome to the forum!

Talk to A67 Man (Ian) - he's just up the road from you and has much experience of restoring buses ;)
He's a busy man though..........................

Oh yes - join the club and you will have access to our spares shop :)
1966 SO42 Westy in Velvet Green - on the road at last!
1967 Devon from Devon still in Devon
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA
1971 patina Delux from Montana now living in Germany
1972 Devon now owned by No 1 son!

iomdub
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by iomdub »

Thanks BJ1 - App has been sent in for the club just waiting for it to be processed.

andy f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by andy f »

Hey, Congrats on getting a split ;)

2 things I think are well worth it ( and I got them both from Machine Mart ) is 6" Bench Grinder, with a grining wheel on one side and a wire wheel on the other. And a tap and die set so you can claen up and reuse all those nuts and bolts.

Andy

russvw66

Post by russvw66 »

HI here are some of the tools that if found really usefull
100 mm angle grinder with thin cutting
use the thin cutting discs great for removing rusty body panels

A nibbler I use mine in the electric drill have drilled the handle and the pistol
grip and fitted a threaded bar through both of them this allows me to put
the drill into the vice and have both hands free to cut metal easily this
tool is a rotary punch and leaves the cut edge perfectly smooth no need to
file or clean get this from Machine Mart about £25 pounds

hope this helps good luck

Dougie
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by Dougie »

iomdub wrote:
Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:37 pm
Thanks BJ1 - App has been sent in for the club just waiting for it to be processed.
When did you complete the membership form as nothing has come through to me yet? If you can pm me your details and tell me when you paid I can chase it up. I get nearly all the membership packs in the post within 24 hours of the payment notice coming through but I don't remember anything from the Isle of Man recently.
SSVC Club President
SSVC Committee - Membership Secretary

readyboy61
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by readyboy61 »

Grinder and 1mm cutting discs lots of them, a decent set of drill bits. A breaker bar and plenty of plusgas .
Fixing VWs in my sleep, im not the only one right?

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BJ1 »

Dougie wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:14 am
iomdub wrote:
Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:37 pm
When did you complete the membership form as nothing has come through to me yet? If you can pm me your details and tell me when you paid I can chase it up. I get nearly all the membership packs in the post within 24 hours of the payment notice coming through but I don't remember anything from the Isle of Man recently.
LOL - his last post was Feb 2015 so I guess the post is slow from IoM? I'd be interested in whether he managed to sort his split.
1966 SO42 Westy in Velvet Green - on the road at last!
1967 Devon from Devon still in Devon
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA
1971 patina Delux from Montana now living in Germany
1972 Devon now owned by No 1 son!