New to Scene

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.
will broad

New to Scene

Post by will broad »

Hi, thanks for letting me join the forum. I am hoping to buy a splitscreen camper whenever we get over this virus. Im just needing advice on what to look out for. I have seen so many with varying prices, would 30,000 pounds buy a decent one? im not wanting a rust box nor am I wanting a concourse winner. Im worried about handing over shed loads of cash and getting a van full of filler and fibre glass.
What is the cost average of insurance, does an expensive one mean expensive insurance?
Thanks.
Starsky2727
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: New to Scene

Post by Starsky2727 »

Hi
Insurance is relatively cheap in my opinion but Select a classic insurance policy but get a agreed value for the
Policy. The club provides a valuation service which is worth having. If you get a bus for 30k and it’s valued at that your well protected

I use Footman James but there are several others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8 8US
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 8 8US »

Welcome Will

Insurance is fairly cheap, sub £200 with european breakdown cover and agreed value, the club offer a valuation service to members that is recognised by most insurers. RH Insurance used to be the insurer of choice but were taken over a couple of years ago, Footman James as mentioned above and Classicline Insurance (https://www.classiclineinsurance.co.uk/) who I switched to this year are both good and CL offer members a discount. Good level of cover, european breakdown and agreed valuation with a report and 6 photos.

£30k will get you a solid bus, no doubt one of the knowledgeable members on here would be happy to come along and give an opinion on anything you want to take a look at. Glance through the buses for sale thread and ask away!

Membership of the club is £31, access to various discounts at suppliers and insurers, regular club magazine, AGM weekend in May (covid permitting) and we're a friendly bunch who like to chat about buses....... https://www.ssvc.org.uk/join/

Ask away!

Richard
Richard

1960 Single Cab Pickup “Barny” (resto thread - https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic ... 8&t=122082)
1966 Devon “Hetty”

1980 Brasilia gone :(
Dougie
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by Dougie »

You don't have to wait till you've bought your split to join the club. It's probably the best way to find out what it's really like to live with one.
SSVC Club President
SSVC Committee - Membership Secretary
will broad

Post by will broad »

Hi Thanks for the replies. I have seen a couple of splitscreens but they have got a sliding side door, I thought only bay window buses had them?
Yes I will be joining the club.
ScottyN
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ScottyN »

I read somewhere that sliders were an option from mid ‘63 and were available on pretty much anything from panels to sambas. There are quite a few around and a dedicated Facebook page too if you’re on there. As others have said, £30k is a great budget. My advice would be don’t be afraid to ask and don’t dive in with the first one you view. There’s a goldmine of information in both historic posts and peoples knowledge on here so I’m sure it’ll see you right :)
will broad

Post by will broad »

Do any members keep their vans on the drive? I have been looking into security before I lash out on a van, I have been looking at the stolen thread and a bit worried about it on the drive.
I have seen this Disklok that goes over the steering wheel that looks good. Plus maybe a wheel clamp.

https://saundersonsecurity.co.uk/disklo ... -lock.html